Wednesday 26 April 2017

Casual Day 1 Update

Okay so I walked in with my tray of stuff I had prepared, met the office lady and principal. Then it was into the A.P to get my agenda for the day and the tour. I was assigned as support for the day and RFF for the last hour. So in short I didn't need anything except a pen, sunglasses, hat and as I learnt today a whistle.

It was fabulous. I spent most of the time working with groups of up to 6 students. I visited 5 classrooms and assisted in a fabulous budgeting maths lesson. The students did a quick quiz from https://mathsstarters.net/ then with a copy of the canteen price list, worked out what they would order for a week if they had a $50 budget. They needed to pick two items for recess, a crunch and sip item, lunch item and a drink for each day of the week without repeating items. It was a great activity and the students all stuck to their budget surprisingly.

Another surprise was the use of alternative seating. The students were allowed to select a work space but if they did not use it properly had to move to an allocated area. Some sat on exercise balls, some on stools (working on cupboards not the regular school desks), some sat on a sofa with a clipboard, others had areas mapped out on the floor with masking tap for them to lay on their stomachs to do their work. There of course were regular desks and chairs available too.

In the afternoon the class I was meant to take for RFF combined with next door to do some comprehension tasks from https://www.pobble365.com/ It provides the image and comprehension questions that are open ended. Through a lot of discussion and working with pairs it is quite useful to spark student creativity.

It was such a relaxing change from being on class dealing with parents, assessments and students with bad attitudes. I hope it is just as good when I go back tomorrow. I am lucky enough that the school has offered me the next 4 weeks as support and RFF. YAY!!! So that is all for today. I'll ask the staff if I can take some photos of their rooms to show the alternative seating here.

Kind Regards,
Mrs V
xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment